Saturday, September 18, 2010

Software Freedom Day Experience

Software Freedom Day

Floppy disk. DOS. Pacman. Alley cat. Lotus123. Pascal. Diskette. These are the computer devices, applications, and programs I've learned from preschool through highschool.

Turbo C. MySQL. VB6. Fireworks. Dreamweaver. Flash. HTML. Bluetooth. Infrared. Projector (acetate). I learned these during my first time in college.

Java, Javascript, PHP, mobile programming, packet tracer. LCD projector. I am continuously learning these now in my 2nd time in college.

During my first 4 years in college as an IT student (2000-2004), I only learned in school and from books. Having internet connection at home was a luxury that we could not afford then. Computer shops charged your internet access by the minute. But the scenario now is different. It is an excellent example of how change is really constant. This is reflected by the fast-paced improvement and evolution of technology.

I stopped studying from 2004-2009. I was lucky enough to have internet subscription at home in 2005. I can't say that I was bored for 5 years, but I did miss going to school. So I decided to make the time I consume i using the computer a productive one, and not just for games and social networking.
I tried to refresh my programming skills in turbo C. And i was surprised, after google-ing sample programs, that there are a lot of open source websites that provide useful tips and guidelines in programming. There were so many examples shared by programmers. It was then that i realized that i've been left behind. Java is the current programming language being used in schools, along with other web programming languages like javascript, php, and the like. Open source communities on the internet really provide great help for struggling programmers like myself.

Never mind the "late" part. Attending today's celebration of Software Freedom Day has increased my appreciation for technology, and for free/open source software. I am more inspired to learn new things like programmig languages, image manipulation programs like GIMP, web design, web content management like JOOMLA, and many more.

I also realized that FOSS is not just for personal use. It is dynamic and can be adapted by small organizations to large scale companies as well. With that, i also realized my part as a citizen of our country, in being involved in the society by sharing my thoughts and opinions in forums concerning our society and government. Mr. Lallana has enlightened me about change, and being involved in it like eGov 2.0. Also, my appreciation for FREE applications or software has increased. Not all "free" apps or software are limited. FOSS is an excellent of limitless free apps or programs.

Apart from the enlightenment and ideas given by the speakers, the fun part was to be able to join the contests. At first, my peers and I were really aiming for the prize. But it tirne out that we all just want to have fun in learning new things like GIMP. Overall, this experience was awesome! We hope that the guests felt the same way too.

Technology has truly become a part of our lives. We communicate, learn, and improve our lives because of it. With the benefits of FOSS, and with the desire to accept new things, and detaching ourselves from what we are generally used to, we can learn more, do more, and benefit from it.

I believe FOSS represents a "pay it forward" type of message. We should use these free software not just for our own benefit, but for others' benefit and good welfare as well. We should not abuse the advantages of using FOSS.

No comments:

Post a Comment